The Coronavirus pandemic has changed all of our worlds, and not just in the short-term. Outside of healthcare—where heroes dressed in gowns are battling on the front lines—few industries have been hit like travel and within that I include Incentive Travel, where staff are often rewarded for their efforts & successes with a well earned ‘money can’t buy’ experience somewhere in the world.
That said, the scale of the problem cannot be ignored; entire nations have been ordered to stay at home, airlines have gone bankrupt, travel companies are laying off massive amounts of workers, and hotels are now hospitals. When things do start to return to “normal”, travel, especially international travel, will look very different.
When will travel recover?
The million-dollar question. The short answer is nobody knows for sure. Travel will recover in stages and freedom to travel will vary, not only country-by-country but by region. In addition, there are multiple factors that will influence travel such as social distancing on planes, the reliability of antibody tests, if immunity is lasting, restrictive company travel policies & peoples own willingness to travel, to name but a few.
So what will influence your next incentive travel project?
- The queue at immigration in some countries & then at certain airports could be longer than ever before
- You may need more than just a passport – wristbands with barcodes, immunity certification, testing at the border etc
- Travel will have different ‘new’ expensive windows of opportunity
- Recovery will be uneven so being able to predict which country is ‘open’ months ahead will be hard
- Will you be able to get insurance cover for your group that includes Covid cover – nobody knows right now
- Air quality on aircraft is vastly different & those airlines highlighting their premium quality air filtration systems will be the ones to use
- Local partners – good DMC’s will become more important than ever to ensure all activities, accommodation & service providers are COVID guideline compliant
Therefore there’s no better time to explore & enjoy ‘home’!
Like you & I, I bet that whoever your incentive is set out to appeal to they will not have truly explored and enjoyed some of the wonderful places & experiences that sit right under our noses here at home. Whether we are talking 5 star hotels or treehouses, rugged coastlines or lakes & valleys you will find some of the most amazing, jaw dropping places to stay & things to do in the UK. All accessible by your own car or train in only a few hours, with no luggage restrictions, entry requirements & of course you could if you needed to get home quickly & easily.
Here are one or two ideas:
Go on Safari at Port Lympne Reserve – sleep with the lions (see headline pic), in a tent with the giraffe’s or under the stars in a 180 degree, panoramic bubble pod
Have a long weekend in one of the luxury tree houses at Chewton Glen. Surrounded by the New Forest & by the coast you can ride horses or sail in the Solent as part of your stay.
Enjoy hot air ballooning & fine dining with a stay at Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat’Saisons in the Cotswolds,created by celebrated chef Raymond Blanc OBE.
Evolution are here to help
We have many years experience of providing our clients with incentive travel solutions which has in turn given us an in depth knowledge of properties, activities & service providers both here in the UK & overseas.
If you would like us to provide you with some ideas, get in touch & we will happily respond to your brief with either a ‘light touch’ proposal or fully costed solution. Whichever you require at the time.